Sunday, July 7, 2013

Getting Old. Jill's July 2013 playlist


Happy Birthday to me! (it's my birthday month)  Mixed up some funky rootsy rock with a little international flair.

1. Getting Old - Hellogoodbye
Because, let's face it...  I am.  Cheerful ditty to mask depression.  Band is named after a quote from Saved By The Bell's Screech Powers. 

2. Oughta Know Better - Dumpstaphunk
With age comes wisdom, right?  Found Dumpstaphunk when I was looking for whatever happend to Ivan Neville (son of Aaron). This band is one his many recent projects, jam-packed  with some of New Orleans' finest musicians (would you expect any less from a Neville?)

3. Back It Up - Caro Emerald
No clue how I stumbled upon this funky Dutch jazz singer. Note: I almost always pull through a parking space because accidents sometimes happen when I "back it up".

4. Juliana - The Sweet Talks
Summery happy African beats. Complete accidental find. Juliana kinda like "July", so there's that.

5. Dear Prudence - Gabor Szabo
Click on "related artists" to the Sweet Talks and search around a bit, then the title of one of my fave Beatles' tunes caught my eye, gave it a listen and Voila! another for this month's list.

6. 84 - The Fucking Champs
short & pretty instrumental interlude that caught my ear by a heavy metal (but kinda indie) band from San Francisco.  I graduated from high school in 1984. 

7. I Wouldn't Treat A Dog (The Way You Treated Me) - Bobby Bland, Michael Omartian
Mr. Bland recently passed away. Great bluesy souly voice.

8. Something In The Water - Brooke Fraser
Pop song. I like water. 

9. We Are What You Say - Dead Sara
Guitar driven rock and roll and a raspy Suzie Quattro-esque voice.

10. Big Mouth USA - Jim Ford
I vaguley remember this from AM radio childhood. Ford is one of those late 60s/early 70s singer songwriters that slipped into obscurity by the mid 70s. Before a possible comeback in 2007, he was found dead in his trailer home in Fort Bragg, California. 

11. Shreveport - Turnpike Troubadours
"...I learned some things they dont teach in school."  Country roots rock from Louisiana.  (pretty sure I've put these guys on my lists regularly. Love 'em.)

12. You Aint Dolly - Ashley Monroe & Blake Shelton
Young country star with a voice that recalls Tammy Wynette era, singing "a cheatin' song just like they used to do".  

13. World Of Hurt - Ilse DeLange
Dutch pop with a country twang from the late 90s. 

14. I Ain't Going Nowhere - Trijintje Oosterhuis
so if you keep clicking "related artists" on Spotify, they tend to group by nationality as well as genre. Dont ask me how to pronouce her first name. I liked the Donna Summer quality to her voice. You Go Girl!

Listen on Spotify: July Jill 2013 Playlist

No comments:

Post a Comment