Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May-April "not all that springy" Playlist 2013



OOPSY DaiSy! somehow I forgot to make a list for April. No biggie. I'll just add a few extra tunes and combine and April and May list!  I should admit I haven't given music too much thought these past couple months. Well that, or I just don't like the changes they made to Spotify so I haven't been using it as much. And other stuff just comes up.  But here's a list of songs anyway:


1. He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
George Jones really did stop loving her. Because he passed away recently. Sad song, sung beautifully by a classic country superstar. Who's gonna fill their shoes?

2. Windfall - The Flying Burrito Brothers
Always been one of my fave Son Volt songs (Trace - a fave album). Just plain neat to hear the original alt-country pioneers cover this later alt-country classic.  I didn't know Burrito Bros were still recording.

3. Fool's Parade - Michael Stanley Band
Ahhh the regional favorite sons from my northeast Ohio childhood! Friends recently went to a concert and got me all kinds of nostalgic. Cabin Fever was my "favorite" album (well, when I was 15).  I was so young.

4. Kindness - Will Dailey & The Rivals
Is this song a hit? I must hear on a commercial, or shopping or somewhere. I have no idea what's "popular" these days, but this seems like an adult contemporary "pop" song. 

5. Want U - Lo-Fi-Ink
Synthesize It, Baby! Pour a Heineken and watch robots dance.

6. Shake Some Action - Cracker
I just didn't realize Cracker had a song on the Clueless soundtrack. 80s wow. I love this.

7. Nothing for Nothing - Gizelle Smith & The Mighty Mocambos
Motowny horns and soulful sassy gal vocals. Gits ya movin' don't it?

8. Love's Dart - Django Django
The guys on NPR were chatting about this band & Andy hears them on XM, so I was just giving them a tryout.  They dig percussion gadgetry - clippety clop and vibra-slapping fun - reminds me of being stranded in a desert and moving way too fast inspite of the heat.

9. Life Ain't Ever Been Better Than It Is Now - Lenny Kravitz
Keeping a beat and giving thanks for what I got, at the church of Lenny.  

10. Don't Ever Leave Me - Patsy Cline
The superlative voice that is the standard by which all other singers are compared.

11. Easy - The Stone Foxes
I like how they mention Williamsburg in this song. But I bet they probably mean the "other" Williamsburg - the cool one in Brooklyn.

12. Satisfied - Woody Pines
More strumming - totally reminds me of Taj Mahal's 'Queen Bee' or maybe it's a cover?  

13. Good Thing - Fine Young Cannibals
Remember this one? mmm I know I should be sick of it, but I still like it. Curse you Pop Music.

14. Safety Dance - The Asteroids Galaxy Tour
This one was ripe for a good covering at some point in the 2010s. Sound almost like chipmunks, but fun. 

15. That Was Your Mother - Paul Simon
That was your token Happy Mother's Day song. 

16. Calgon Take Me Away - Swearing At Motorists
Mom deserves an escape... bubble bath and all that. This band sounds Cake-ish, only in a slightly depressing way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment