Friday, June 29, 2012

July, it's like she's been around, you know.



Listen on SPOTIFY: 2012-07 JULY Jill

July is my birthday month. I’m getting up there in years- gathering life experience, but not maturing by any means. Summer music for me has always meant a few big pop hits constantly getting air play - the kind of songs that just plow through the hot summer days like the heat doesn’t slow them down - or make them less cool anyway. So on this month’s playlist, I start off with a track that I think is a possible candidate for the unofficial anthem of Summer ‘12.  And then I filled the rest of the list with sunshine or lush swampy sounds, or just stuff that I happen to like - because my lists are all about me after all.


1. I Love it - Icona Pop
The big song of summer that could take over (in the old days anyway). Celebrate new found independence by throwing his s#%t into a bag and pushing it down the stairs.
2. Medicine - Jackie Greene
Jackie Greene effortlessly sounds vintage.  At first (back when American Myth came out and I first heard him) he reminded me of modern Van Morrison - with great bluesy, classic rock sounds, but now he comes up with this - sound that’s cross between ELO and Beck? which I totally love. 
3. Avocado - Mosquitos
Lead singer Juju Stulbach is a girl from Ipanema (well, Brazil anyway). Happy sunshine. 
4. Lovin’ on an Older Gal - Sonny & The Sunsets
The obvious choice for my birthday song! Thanks to Daytrotter for first turning us on to Sonny & The Sunsets.  Love these sarcastic surfer bands. 
5. Every Girl - Turnpike Troubadours
A y’allternative love song to music itself.
6. Mr. Shorty - Marty Robbins
The orginal “shawty” wanted to be called mister.
7. Kandi - One Eskimo
You may recognize One Eskimo from such playlists as last month’s list (Slip).  Here’s a quiet little track with a  familiar “baby baby” chorus that caught me by surprise. 
8. Determination - The Gladiators
Token reggae song to complete the summer vibe I have going here.  What’s not to love about reggae? it’s usually a combo of super positive & motivational message, yet it’s never in a big hurry to get there. 
9. Delta Sun Bottleneck Blues - Mercury Rev
Bought this CD (Deserter’s Songs) a million years ago — sadly it’s one of those albums that I really only one track on — this one.  
10. Country Lane - Telekinesis
Cross between U2 and Mercury Rev?  
11. Storm of Nails - Lisa Marie Presley
She showed up American Idol of all places! But she doesn’t sound like much of the glossy shlock the girls usually sing on Idol. This appeals to me — maybe I can relate, just because LMP shares my age bracket.
12. Change - The Young Veins
I thought I recognized a British Invasion influence… just read a little of Young Vein’s bio on Spotify and they cite The Kinks among their inspirations.  Songwriters that split from Panic! At The Disco a few years ago. 
13. Emotional Rescue - The Rolling Stones
One summer, back in 1980 I guess, my mom hired these two teenage kids to paint all the trim on our house. They did a terrible job, but the impact of their radios blaring local stations while they worked is still with me today. Must have heard this song a million times that summer. After the movie On Golden Pond came out a few years later, my sister and I wanted Katharine Hepburn to say, “Norman, you’re my knight in shining armour coming to my emotional rescue.” 
14. Orange Blossoms - JJ Grey & Mofro
Freebie on Amazon!!!  Love JJ Grey & Mofro and this was FREE.
15. I Can Stand To See You Die - Shuggie Otis
I read somewhere once that at one time, the Rolling Stones considered adding Shuggie to their band. I also read the title of this wrong the first few times — didn’t realize there was no apostrophe ‘T’ after the ‘Can’.  Well, we all gotta go sometime. And I’m a little closer with every passing year. Enjoy the music while you can!

Listen on SPOTIFY: 2012-07 JULY Jill

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story about the painters and the music they played while working. It's amazing how something seemingly inconsequential can stay with you for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's funny how the absence of radio in my life (with exception of NPR) has me immune to what is being "overplayed" right now. Allows me to appreciate some good pop music without ever having to get so completley sick of it that I never want to hear it.

      Delete